Skilled regional provisional visa 489 in Australia are temporary work visas that allow you to live and work in the country for up to four years with the option of extending your stay afterward. This temporary visa comes with several rules that differ from the permanent skilled migration visa class, so it’s essential to understand how this visa works to make the most of it and ensure you don’t run into any trouble down the road.
What is a 489 visa in Australia?
If you’re looking to move to Australia permanently, you may be eligible for a 489 visa. This visa allows you to live and work in specific regions of the country for up to four years. To be eligible, you must first have an occupation on the skilled occupation list and be sponsored by an eligible family member or employer. You also need to meet specific health and character requirements.
The Work Requirements for Visa 489
The skilled regional provisional visa 489 that allows you to live and work in specified regional areas of Australia for up to four years. To apply for this visa,
- You must first submit an expression of interest (EOI) through the Department of Home Affairs skill select system.
- You will be invited to apply for the visa if your EOI is successful. Applicants have ranked on their points score out of 100, which reflects their qualifications, experience, and age.
- If granted a visa, they must reside in their nominated location while working in that region or regionally connected area.
- They can also visit any other state or territory during their stay in Australia if they return home within two weeks.
How Much does It Cost to Apply?
The cost of applying for a skilled regional provisional visa 489 in Australia varies depending on a few factors, such as whether or not you have an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). If your occupation is on the MLTSSL, you must pay a base application fee of $3,670.
- Fees, Charges, and Security Bond
The 489 visa has a few associated costs when you lodge your application. These include the visa application charge, a security bond, and police checks. You may also need to pay for health assessments and biometrics. A fee of AUD$560 is charged for the 489 Visa.
The cost of getting a health assessment is between AUD$230 and AUD$1,000 depending on what type of assessment you require; however, if you have an adverse medical condition or mental illness, they will be waived from this cost.
Eligibility criteria of skilled regional visa 887.
- You must pass a points-based assessment to be eligible for a 489 visa.
- This assesses your skills, qualifications, and experience against predetermined criteria.
- If you are successful, you will be invited to apply for the visa.
- The next step is to submit an expression of interest (EOI) through the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) online portal.
Upon receipt of your EOI, DHA will send you confirmation by email that they have received it. They may also ask for further information about your proposed job offer or business. It can take up to two months before DHA decide whether or not they’ll invite you to apply for the skilled regional visa subclass 887.